The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain is a sovereign country in north-western Europe, off the north-¬western coast of the European mainland The United Kingdom includes the island of Great Britain, the north-¬eastern part of the island of Ireland, and many smaller islands within the British Isles. Northern Ireland shares a land border with the Republic of Ireland. Otherwise, the United Kingdom is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, with the North Sea to the east, the English Channel to the south and the Celtic Sea to the south-west, giving it the 12th-longest coastline in the world. The Irish Sea separates Great Britain and Ireland. The total area of the United Kingdom is 93,628 square miles (242,500 km2).
The capital is London, a global city and financial centre with an urban area population of 10.3 million. The United Kingdom consists of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Most of the United Kingdom has a temperate climate, with generally cool temperatures and plentiful rainfall all year round. The temperature varies with the seasons seldom dropping below −20 °C (−4 °F) or rising above 35 °C (95 °F). Some parts, away from the coast, of upland England, Wales, Northern Ireland and most of Scotland, experience a sub polar oceanic climate (Cfc). Higher elevations in Scotland experience a continental subarctic climate (Dfc) and the mountains experience a tundra climate (ET).
The prevailing wind is from the southwest and bears frequent spells of mild and wet weather from the Atlantic Ocean, although the eastern parts are mostly sheltered from this wind since the majority of the rain falls over the western regions the eastern parts are therefore the driest. Atlantic currents, warmed by the Gulf Stream, bring mild winters;especially in the west where winters are wet and even more so over high ground. Summers are warmest in the southeast of England and coolest in the north. Heavy snowfall can occur in winter and early spring on high ground, and occasionally settles to great depth away from the hills.
United Kingdom is ranked 4 out of 180 countries in the Environmental Performance Index. A law has been passed that UK greenhouse gas emissions will be net zero by 2050.
WHY CHOOSE UK?
Universities & colleges in the UK are ranked best for their academic excellence and reputation among employers across the globe. Degrees from the reputed UK universities open up innumerable career options for students and it is one of the many reasons to be a popular overseas education destination among international students. Added to it are the facts that the teaching faculties and the research methods nurture the creative traits of the students and prepare them for the real-world.
The intensive courses with fast track option have greatly influenced the choice of UK among global learners. UK has been chosen by many of the students considering its supportive learning environment, flexible education system and inexpensive educational and living cost. With the greater academics excellence and employment opportunity, choice of UK for the study is increasing in long run.
• UK degrees are highly valued around the globe.
• The degrees in the UK are shorter in duration than other countries and as a result help students to budget their expense towards their tuition fee and living expenses.
• Multi-cultural society.
ELIGIBILITY & ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
• IELTS minimum score of 6.5 for Postgraduate and 6 for Undergraduate Studies.
• TOEFL minimum score of 90 (Internet Based Test) for Postgraduate and 80 (Internet Based Test) for Undergraduate Studies.
• Study in UK without IELTS / TOEFL is possible if student has scored above 65% in English language in the XII std. (English Medium) & if medium of instruction throughout school & college was English.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS / ELIGIBILITY
• 65% and above for humanities in XIIth.
70 – 80% and above for Science, Commerce, English in Std. XII / Diploma.
• 2nd class could also be considered by some Universities if there is some additional qualification / experience. (Foundations and Diploma programs are available for students who have secured below 60%)
• Completed / will complete 18 years of age before joining a degree program.
• 60 % and above in 1st degree is required by most of the Universities for Masters and Research courses.
• Some universities may even accept student at 55% and above in the 1st degree GMAT scores ranging between 600-700 by many Universities for Management Programs if required.
• Full time work experience of at least 2-4 years after 1st degree required by many Universities for Management Programs (MBA). The same may vary from University to University.
• All MBA accredited universities require a minimum of 3 years above work experience and an age criteria of 25 years plus as a minimum age requirement.
The UK universities are all set to finish their admission process for the 2021 academic session. In the 2022 first intake happens in January followed by another intake in September.
The UK has been one of the popular destinations among Nepalese students for pursuing higher education. In the past few years, there has been a surge in the number of Nepalese students applying for admission to UK universities with more than thousands of students enrolled in various universities across the country. While the COVID-19 pandemic has led to travel restrictions for international students, the recent relaxation in arrivals has given them a sigh of relief and they can now start planning to study in the UK in 2022.
Another good news is that the UK government has removed the restrictions on students to stay and work in the country after completing their education. Now, international student graduates can continue to stay in the country for two years with a work permit. This is another major reason why many students are planning to apply to UK universities in 2022.
The UK student visa requirements:
• Education documents
• Financial requirements
• English proficiency test scores
• Sound Physical & Mental health
Types of UK Student Visa
The UK Student Visa type depends on the course selection. Here is the information on UK student visa requirements.
1. Short-term UK Student Visa (study visa):
The UK student visa requirements while applying for a Short-term study visa are:
• A CAS (Confirmation of acceptance for studies) letter by the University that offered admission.
• A Proof of financial statements to bear the living and study expenses in the UK.
2. General UK Student Visa (Tier 4):
A General student visa (Tier 4) requirements are:
• A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) letter by the University that offered admission.
• A Proof of financial statements to bear the living and study expenses in the UK.
• Students can pay the healthcare surcharge to access the National Health Service (NHS) to avail of the United Kingdom’s health benefits.
Documentation Checklist for UK Student Visa:
• A valid passport.
• Financial documents in support that covers the expenses for the duration of your course.
• A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) reference number.
• Passport-sized color photographs.
Note: Credibility Interview will be conducted at VFS, Nepal.
UK student visa application procedure & Cost for student visa in UK
• The UK Study Visa application procedure starts with collecting a ‘confirmation of acceptance for studies’ (CAS) letter.
• Supporting documents, funds to cover your course fees, etc. must be kept handy before applying online.
• Get registered and create an account on the official UKVI Visa website.
• Fill in the online application form, take a copy, sign your completed form, and book an appointment at the visa application center.
• Pay for IHS (Health Care Surcharge) for the entire duration of your stay in the UK from the Bank.
• Once you complete the online application, you will receive a confirmation message with your application number.
• Pay your application fee by reaching out to the bank branches or through Demand Drafts or telegraphic transfer. You also can pay your visa application fee online using a Visa or MasterCard.
• Visit the visa application center on the appointed date and submit your application and facial photograph and fingerprints.
How much does it cost to study in UK from Nepal?
S.no. Total cost to study in UK from Nepal Average fee (in Euros*)
1 bachelor degree GBP 10,000 to GBP 20,000 per year
2 master’s degree GBP 10,000 to GBP 20,000 per year
3 Doctoral degree GBP 15,000 to GBP 24,000 per year
S.no. Living cost to study in UK from Nepal Average fee (in Euros*)
1 Expenses Approximate price
2 Accommodation (one bed room) £400 – £600 per month
3 Private Accommodation £320 – £530 per month
4 Bills £40 – £50 per month
5 Housekeeping / Food £160 – £200 per month
6 TV Licence £12.56 per month
7 Mobile phone £15 – £50 per month
8 Shoes / Clothes £25 per month
(average membership for the Students Sport centre) £10 – £20 per month
10 Stationery / Books £21 per month
11 Socializing £120 per month
12 Travel / Transport £32 per month
Health Insurance to Study in UK from Nepal
The United Kingdom has an international student health insurance system called the National Health Service, commonly known as NHS. As an international student, you may qualify to receive the NHS benefit if you have a tier 4 student visa and are studying in the UK for six months or more.
If you qualify for the NHS international student health insurance, you will receive the same benefits as UK citizens.
Students are recommended to purchase international student health insurance even before they travel to the destination. A tier 4 student visa staying in the UK for 6 months or longer will be required to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of their visa application fee.
The great best spots for international students in the UK
It’s called the “Athens of the North”. It’s the capital of Scotland. Near to 40% of its population is comprised of international students. The city is famous for Old Town, which is a UNESCO heritage site. The city hosts some very colorful and unique festivals too.
With its metropolitan nature and historic relevance, Coventry is also known for its openness to modern values and lifestyle. It’s a noted destination for international students which are evident from the fact that near to 40% of students in the city comes from abroad.
Birmingham has so much to offer international students as it’s an academic center along with being a financial center. The students can choose from a range of study programs and institutions. It has the largest number of research students in the UK after London. The culture and nightlife here are great to experience.
The capital of the UK, it’s a bustling city with many cultural and academic hubs besides the picturesque neighborhoods and busy areas.
The main attraction for international students in Manchester is its student culture. The city is known for its unique tutoring, the courses it offers that build strong skills, and its focus on international students.
Manchester is also a great job market besides being the second-highest economy in the UK. It offers many options for entertainment. It does a commendable scale of exports in culture and music too. The city makes a considerable amount of contribution to science and engineering.